key to error sheet eight
• It is often possible to correct an item in more than one way and this is particularly so when there are several errors in a single one. The correct versions below eliminate the mistakes while making as few changes as possible. Words and phrases in parentheses indicate alternative corrections. Square brackets indicate that although the original is correct, the alternative would be preferable.
1. The 2 bulldogs came and bit her. One of the bulldogs ripped her ear. When she was at the hospital, the doctor said that her ear can’t be replaced again. After that tragedy the government decided that they will ban owning bulldogs.
The two pit bulls came and bit her. One of the pit bulls ripped [off] her ear. When she was at [in] the hospital, the doctor said her ear couldn’t be replaced. After that tragedy [,] the government decided that they will ban owning pit bulls (decided to ban owning pit bulls).
2. The dog attacked her when she delivered letters and bit her on the ear.
The dog attacked her while she was delivering letters and bit off her ear.
3. The post officers job is kind of dangerous. That kind of accident happens oftenly.
The [A] letter carrier’s job is kind of [quite, rather] dangerous. That kind of accident happens oftenly.
4. Darlene Wagner was deliver mails.
Darlene Wagner was delivering mail.
5. She didn’t has afraid of dogs until that day when while she delivered mail in a house a big dog attacked her.
She wasn’t afraid of dogs until that day when, while she was delivering mail to a house, a big dog attacked her.