Dorothy Stang (cloze)

Dorothy Stang was born in Dayton, Ohio, in the north central United States, in 1932. Her parents were strongly religious Christians and also strong environmentalists. They brought Dorothy up to believe in the importance of helping poor people in faraway places and of helping them in a way that did not damage their natural environment.

When she had finished high school, Dorothy joined a religious order and in 1956 she became a nun, “Sister Dorothy.” In 1966 she was sent to Brazil to work as a missionary in the Amazon Basin, a huge area of tropical ______________ in the northern part of the country.

Before long, Dorothy came to see that the poor farmers were being badly exploited by the ranchers and loggers who were ______________ with them for valuable land of the Amazon. She decided then that she was going to ______________ her life not just to helping the people she was working among but to trying to get justice for them.

Later on Dorothy began working for the “Pastoral Land Commission,” an ______________ that was created by Brazilian church leaders in 1975. Its purpose was to protect poor farmers from the wealthy loggers and ranchers who wanted to get rid of them so they could cut down and sell the valuable trees and then sell them and then use the land for ______________ their cattle. After ______________ the commission, Dorothy went to live in a small town called Anapu. She made her ______________ home there and became a Brazilian citizen.

The farmers Dorothy was working with were ______________ who had come from other parts of the country to find land. Even if they had been farmers previously they didn’t know much about working with the special ______________ of the Amazon. Dorothy concentrated on trying to teach them how to do ______________ farming—in other words, how to farm without damaging the environment.

She helped to set up a sustainable development ______________ . The idea behind this project was to use about 500 square kilometers of land, which had been ______________ to the commission by the Brazilian government, to test an idea. The idea was to allow settlers to clear and ______________ 20% of this land but to leave all the trees standing on the other 80%. In this way the harmful increases in carbon dioxide levels caused by ______________ could be kept under control and the many plant and animal species peculiar to the Amazon basin would be able to survive.

Even though the project involved only a small amount of land, the loggers and the ranchers were ______________ to resist it. They put pressure on the government to reverse their grant of land to the project and they threatened that if the government did not give them what they wanted they would ______________ airports and pollute rivers. Their tactics worked and the government ______________ the licences that they had suspended earlier so the project could go ahead.

Despite this setback, Dorothy and the others continued to ______________ the businessmen’s efforts to ‘clearcut’ the land. They knew that Dorothy was the leader of the ______________ and they knew how much the farmers depended on her for help. They accused her of being a terrorist and of supplying ______________ to the farmers.

Dorothy knew that many other people fighting to protect the forests and the small farmers had already been murdered on the ______________ of the loggers and ranchers. She hoped they would ______________ to kill her because she was old and she was nun, but she knew there was a chance she would soon be dead. Despite this, in 2004, she went to the Brazilian capital, Brasilia, to give evidence to a government ______________ enquiring into the situation. She gave them the names of logging companies that were illegally ______________ the forests.

Not long after, on February 12, 2005, she was walking down a ______________ road with two supporters going to a meeting in a village close to Anpura. Along the way, she noticed two men with guns ______________ from the opposite direction. When they reached her she took out her Bible and started reading. They listened for a moment and then, from less than a meter away, one of the men shot her six times in the head and body and she fell dead on the road with her face in the mud.

ammunition

approaching

committee

competing

deforestation

determined

devote

farm

granted

grazing

hesitate

invading

joining

muddy

orders

organization

permanent

project

rainforest

resist

restored

seize

settlers

soils

struggle

sustainable