flesl.net paired stories: Giorgio Angelozzi, Update 2

web address: flesl.net/Reading/Stories/Series1/Giorgio_A/Extras/GiorgioA_update2.php
Giorgio Angelozzi, Update 2

On November 6, 2005, Giorgio Angelozzi died in a hospital in Vicenza in northern Italy. He had been admitted there in September suffering from complications of diabetes and had been in a coma for six weeks. According to one report Giorgio was brought to the hospital after being found “slumped at the side a road.” According to another, he was found “writhing in agony on a park bench.”

While Giorgio was in hospital, he had no visitors and he received no phone calls. After he died, his body was put into a freezer in a morgue. The Rivas — the family who had adopted him — were informed of his death, as was his sister in Rome. No one wanted to pay for Giorgio’s funeral, however. The Rivas said they would travel to Vicenza — about 200 kilometers from their home in Milan — to pay their last respects to Giorgio, but they were not willing to pay for his funeral. They said the authorities should arrange that.

When she was interviewed by a reporter, Marlena Riva made it clear that even before Giorgio stole money and ran away, she and her family had realized that adopting him was a big mistake. She explained that from the time he arrived Giorgio showed himself to have a despotic personality; she described him as being “self-important, cantankerous and vulgar.” She also said that instead of helping her children with their schoolwork as he had promised, he was always criticizing them. Generally speaking, in Marlena’s opinion, Giorgio had turned out to be a very unpleasant person. He had rejected a pizza, specially made to celebrate his arrival because, he said, it was not good enough to eat. He had talked continually about his sexual exploits. And after he left, Marlena found chewing gum stuck on the underside of furniture everywhere in her house.

Before his death, the same reporter also interviewed Giorgio’s sister, Giulia, in Rome. She explained that she hadn’t seen her brother for thirty years. She said that “Giorgio was a rascal from an early age....He couldn’t bear to live by the rules.” And her husband added, “Some people are just born with badness in them.”

After Giorgio died more details about his life became known. He had been born in a small village in the far south of Italy. His father had been an accountant, his mother a kindergarten teacher. He had a seven-page criminal record going back to 1941. He did have a wife who had died; but they had been divorced since 1971. He did have a daughter but she was not an aid worker; she had been living in Rome and trying to avoid her father. Even after he left the Rivas, Giorgio continued his life as a con man, moving from one place to another persuading people to buy him clothes and meals. He had even talked the residents of a retirement home into taking up a collection for him.

- information from: The Guardian, (UK), 05.11.19 (Sophie Arie); BBC News, 05.19.11 (Mark Duff)