writing projects: gambling addiction
(1) Write a true story about an experience you or a friend has had with gambling. The story should show the danger of becoming addicted to gambling.
Rules for writing good stories:
- write about something that happened over a short period of time (the shorter the better)
- write about a series of events (first this happened; then that; then something else)
- write the story so someone reading it will find it easy to understand and interesting
(2) Write a persuasive essay trying to convince your readers that one of the following conclusions is true.
- it is all right for a government to encourage gambling in order to collect more tax money from the public even though this will increase the number of gambling addicts
- it is wrong for a government to encourage gambling in order to collect more tax money from the public because this leads to an increase in the number of gambling addicts
'Rules' for writing good persuasive essays:
- remember that your aim is to convince your readers
- dont spend a lot of time on introductions or conclusions (one sentence each is enough)
- your argument should be based on a series of connected facts and ideas (not on feelings or other peoples opinions)
notice to students and teachers:
I would like to publish some examples of good student writing on these topics. Please send submissions to "firstname.lastname@example.org" All submissions will be acknowledged.