Peter Czerwinski, p2

After he had been living this way for a while, Peter’s weight started to go down very quickly. His parents were more and more worried, but despite this, he persisted. Sometimes he would cook a meal for his parents while they were out; he wouldn't eat any himself but he would leave a dirty plate in the kitchen to fool them. Later, he described his feelings at the time by saying: “The less I was eating the more—I don’t know—I felt like I was winning some sort of game.” During this period he also sometimes heard a voice in his head telling him not to eat. And, he said later, when he looked at himself in the mirror, he saw something that wasn’t really there.

By the time Peter’s weight got down to 54 kilograms his hair was falling out, and his heart was beating very slowly. His parents took him to the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto and he was immediately admitted to the eating disorder clinic. He was in the hospital for five weeks.

When Peter got out of the hospital, in January 2003, he had got his weight back up to 60 kilograms. His doctors recommended a healthy diet and told him that he should not do any exercise until he got his weight back up to the right level for a person his size. He didn’t follow their advice. He was still very worried about getting fat so he kept on training. Also, although he didn’t follow the diet the doctors had recommended, he did start trying to keep his weight up by eating more. He got up very early in the morning, trained quietly so his parents wouldn’t hear him, and then ate a large, high-protein breakfast. At school, he lifted weights during his noon hour and ate his lunch at the same time. When he got home from school he was extremely hungry and he went straight to the kithen and started eating. He kept eating, on and off, until he went to bed.

Peter realized during that time that he was overtraining—training too much for someone in his condition. But he also learned that if he ate enough, and ate the right sort of food, he could deal with his fear of getting fat and at the same time increase his weight. Also, around this time, Peter started to get interested in special dietary supplements for body builders. In June, he bought a tub of protein powder for the first time. He hid the powder in his room and ate it secretly after school, mixing it with fruit and an artificial sweetener.

By September, Peter’s weight was up to 77 kilograms. His eating habits were improved but they were still not good; he was starving himself all day and eating large amounts in the evening—a tin of tuna with salsa every night before bed, for example. He was becoming more and more interested in taking a scientific approach to dealing with his anorexia though. He had added whey to his diet. He also started reading body-building magazines and using the information he found there to improve his exercise routines in the gym.